THE GATE THAT NEVER FELL

city fact_Aug 2017

Ancient Dongguan was protected by an imposing wall, moat and four impressive gates. The east entrance was named He Yang Gate (He Yang Men 和阳门) because it was located close to a road named He Yang Road (He Yang Lu 和阳路) at the Dong Men Square. The south entry was called Chong De Gate (Chong De Men 崇德门) close to People’s Park. The north access point was referred to as Zhen Hai Gate (Zhen Hai Men 镇海门), thanks to its proximity to Zhen Hai Road. The today-famous west gate is formally named Ying En Gate (Ying En Men 迎恩门). It’s the only remaining passage from the four.

Ying En Gate witnessed countless historical political storms, but stood its ground. Under Qing Dyanasty in 1854, He Liu (何六) gathered a group of people in Shilong to respond to the Hong Xiuquan (洪秀全), the Tai Ping Tian Guo (太平天国) reaction.They attacked the county, seriously damaging a temple and tower yard. Later, the government built a simple city over the ruins.

After the founding of the People’s Republic of China, the government moved the whole of Zi Fu Temple (资福寺) to the core of the replacement city. Later, some materials of the old Zi Fu Temple went to build the modern West Gate.

Category City Facts